One Year!

For those of you who may not know, today is my one year anniversary. It has been exactly one year since my graduation from BYU-Idaho and Rexburg. That's right, December 20, 2006 was the memorable day that I said good-bye to Rexburg and the campus that had been my home for too many years and entered the real world.
All right, Ogden UT isn't exactly the "real world" but in honor of my anniversary, I thought I would reminisce for a moment and do a recap of my year. Unfortunately the only people who read my blog are quite aware of what I have done this year, but hopefully it will provide some humor.
First I celebrated my release from the land of ice and snow by going to Arizona for Christmas. although it is traditional to wish for a white Christmas, there is nothing wrong with celebrating Christmas in a place that is warm enough to swim. I agree with Alita that we should spend Christmas in AZ more often, it just makes sense.
Upon my return to the tundra that was Utah last winter, I embarked on a journey to find a job. This is an extremely unpleasant experience. if you haven't tried it, feel free to trust me. I had a degree in communications and in the immortal words of everyone that I told that was my major "What are you going to do with that?" Good question, I have no idea. Actually, ideas is all I had. Finding someone who was willing to pay for my ideas was an entirely different matter.
So I looked and I looked. I applied for absolutely everything under the sun that didn't involve selling or out-bound calls. As much as Grandma thought I was just playing free cell, I worked very hard every day with no luck. I did get a temp job for about two weeks in Clearfield at a graphic design company. This provided me with two important truths. First, I'm not a happy commuter. in fact, I absolutely hate commuting. Especially when it involves Davis county in the snow. Second, I don't want to be a graphic designer. It's tedious, dull and I could care less about appropriate font. Fonts are dumb. And in my opinion, they don't' make enough of a difference to really warrant the amount of time spent on them. Hopefully my communications professors don't make a habit out of reading my blog or they will regret giving me my diploma. :)
Finally, after five months of unemployment and finding new and creative ways of asking Grandma for money and keeping her change (trust me, it adds up), I had a promising job interview with Marketstar. Okay, so when I applied for a job as an "Event Manager" I thought it had to do with PR, but I was game for anything with a paycheck involved at this point. So when they called me back, I dressed in my best power suit and went for the kill. Then while sitting in the lobby and watching guys walk past me in jean shorts and flip flops, I thought, why exactly did I wear a suit? Thankfully, my professional dress didn't work against me and I was offered the job. That is when I started my career with Marketstar.
And that is where I am now. Still working for Marketstar and quite happily most of the time. What do I do some still ask? Well, that is a fabulous question. I am a manager for the Whirlpool Weekend Sales Associate program. At the current time, I am manging about 200 representatives all over the country. My area spans from South Carolina to Washington state. I am supposed to just cover from SC over to Nebraska, but after one of our four managers left the company, we remaining 3 have had the lucky opportunity to pick up his area (the West.) Yeah for us, right? Thankfully we will be getting a replacement in January.
I know that this year in review has focused mainly on work, but as I tell my boss when he makes fun of me for talking about him on vacation, that is my life right now. I still live in the basement of my mom's/grandma's house. It depends on the day to know whose house it is. Mom and I enjoy life together even though we probably wouldn't kick Dad out if he made it to Utah. Movies are our main staple and we've seen well over a hundred this year. It would take a whole new blog to list them, so I will spare you. We do go to a lot of concerts and this year I finally got to go to my first Opera. It was Porgy and Bess which is still pretty lite, compared to some opera's I could have chosen for my first, but considering the entire cast is Black, it worked for me.
Coleman and Roni moved to Denver which is too far away in my opinion, especially since they have a new little girl that I haven't even met yet. Annette and Alita bought a house in Mesa (I guess that means they really won't ever be moving to Utah) and it's beautiful, which is really to be expected. My only vacations seem to revolve around those two places. We did sneak in a trip to Yosemite in the spring and that was fun. Then of course, we went to Disneyland for thanksgiving which was a lot more fun than I could have ever expected.
I am still on two Young Single adult committees which proves to me without a doubt that God has a sense of humor (and a good understanding of the word ironic.) I keep thinking that I'll be sarcastic enough, or break some mold of what people expect of a YSA rep and they will release me, but so far, it just "endears me." Well, that and I still have the best ideas for activities, even if my anti-love "Godfather" February activity was nixed. I continue to be a favorite of the "little old ladies" in our ward and they make up the basic existence of my "social life." Mom and I finally got a book club started and I'm the youngest member by about forty years.
So that is my life as it is and as, most day it seems, will be forever. In the meantime, I really am enjoying myself and there's something to be said about coming home to dinner on the table after a long day at work. :)

Comments

Major Bubbles said…
Wow. I thought that no one could make such a very amberish accent of themselves like you do.
Awesome year! Hope there are mahny better ones!
Hey I read you blog!! I think you are a very fun writer. You have a lot of voice - newsflash!! As I read I can hear you voice and your sarcasim! NOw, I see hear that you don't let anyone anonymous comment on your blog- Strange, but it dosen't really surprise me!! haha!

Popular posts from this blog

New Blog format

Circus Circus!!!

The most fabulous cake in the world!