San Xavier, Tuscon Arizona
We decided since we were already going to Tucscon for Wicked and Alita's birthday that we would stay the night and see what there was to see in Tucson the next day. Alita had heard of San Xavier. It's known as the "White Dove of the Desert" and was built in 1783. I believe it's one of the oldest missions, but I can't remember for sure.
Anyway, we went out on a Sunday, so knew there was going to be a crowd. We had hoped to avoid Mass since all of us felt it would be inappropriate to tour a church during a service. Well, we miss read the times and ended up getting there in time for the noon mass. They do have a museum so we spent some time walking around there. One thing that was interesting was the vendors that were in the front courtyard. There were at least 15 Navajo taco stands, so I'm sure you can guess what we had for lunch.
Anyway, here are the pictures. It really is a beautiful building.
The Church is located outside Tucson on an Indian Reservation. We were concerned that we wouldn't be able to find it. Well, as soon as you pull of the exit, you know why it is called the "white dove of the desert". It's a pretty impressive site.

The inside (well, and outside) have both gone through extensive restoration. It was a pretty impressive sight although the style was one that I don't quite care for.

It's a pretty cool building. I'd recommend it for anyone who is in the Tucson area. Just be sure to take some money for a taco. :)
Anyway, we went out on a Sunday, so knew there was going to be a crowd. We had hoped to avoid Mass since all of us felt it would be inappropriate to tour a church during a service. Well, we miss read the times and ended up getting there in time for the noon mass. They do have a museum so we spent some time walking around there. One thing that was interesting was the vendors that were in the front courtyard. There were at least 15 Navajo taco stands, so I'm sure you can guess what we had for lunch.
Anyway, here are the pictures. It really is a beautiful building.
Comments